"We Three"

"We Three"

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Jung and crunchwraps, could it get any better?

I am just loving school. This psychology class is sooooo interesting. I am probably fixated in 4 of the 5 stages of development Freud put forth: oral, anal, phallic and genital. The latency period never happened for me at all. All of a sudden, my very crazy upbringing is in my face, again. I thought I dealt with all that in therapy years ago. Sigh. I guess it really never ends, and though I yearn for mental health, I really enjoy some of my quirks, most of which would not be there if I were totally healthy. Like Taco Bell, and those new thingies they call crunchwraps, a bunch of yummy Mexican stuff that includes a crisp tortilla, all wrapped up neatly in a soft tortilla. It can't be too bad for you, after all; it does have lettuce and tomatoes in it, as well as refritos and cheese and sour cream. I just had to get one today, and as luck would have it, there is a Taco Bell right across the street from the college. Isn't that convenient? Oh, and we talked about Jung today. He is just incidental in our text book, mentioned as a disenchanted follower of Freud, along with Karen Horney ( pronounced Horn-eye), who so deliciously debunked penis envy and the Oedipal complex, she is my heroine. But Jung, now there was a guy. He developed the theory of the collective unconscious, that great race memory that lives in all of us, and incorporated spirit into the psychodynamic principle. This was a great idea, as so many of us suffer from broken spirits. I know I did, and healing has become an imperative, because if my spirit is unhappy, so am I, and everyone around me as well. And Jung conjectured that we embody all these archetypes, like earth mother, seductress, eternal youth. He understood that everyone has male and female traits, regardless of gender, the anima and animus, he called them. I just love all his woo-woo stuff. He made my day today, that's for sure.

No comments: