"We Three"

"We Three"

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Rainbows in the bedroom, slugs in the living room.

My friend Sue gave me a rainbow maker for my birthday. It is this little clear plastic machine with interesting gears and cogs that sticks to the window with a big suction cup and has a crystal dangling from it. A solar cell is supposed to power it up, the crystal rotates and sends little rainbows twirling around the room. I have had it there, dutifully stuck to the window, for almost a week, and nothing happened. Well, the window does get only sporadic sunlight due to the big sycamore tree that (thank God) shades the western exposure, and the box did say full sun, but I thought that was pretty persnickety and probably it was just broken. Until yesterday, when Boo and I were perched on the bed in full study mode, surrounded by books and papers and laptop and a pen to chew on, and I looked up. The whole room was whirling with them, joyous little rainbows. "Look, Boo!", I cried. You should have seen the look on his face; his eyes got as big as sewer lids. The shade came back only moments later, and the show ended. Is anyone else as amazed as I am about little things like rainbows? Imagine, this is what light really looks like, all bright and beautiful. And on a more icky note, where do you suppose that slug who leaves that glittery trail all over the carpet every night hides during the day? I have crawled all around the living room, and cannot find that sucker. What does he eat? How long can he survive there, and oh my God, where will he go to die? Inquiring minds want to know.

No comments: